Friday, June 12, 2009

The Decision

I had pretty much talked myself out of it when the first alarm went off at 5:45.  By the time the second alarm went off, I knew my decision.  I was going to put it off.  No one knew of my intentions, no one would know if I once again backed out of a self-imposed challenge.  It wouldn't be the first time, heaven only knows.  

I struggled out of bed, made coffee and sat down to do "my puzzle".  Not too hard, but hard enough for a Wednesday NYT crossword.  I like to think of myself as "in-training" to complete a Saturday or Sunday puzzle, but after a year, I still have yet to make it all the way through a Thursday challenge.  Optimism is my goal, so I keep plugging along.  Morning routine complete, I head for the shower.  I realize it is only 7:50 a.m.  I can get ready in less than half an hour.  I've done it before.  If I accept my internal challenge, I can make it.  Of course I have to pack a lunch, clothes, umbrella.....but then again, I don't have to do my make-up or accessorize my clothes, grubbies will do the trick.  At last, a burst of endorphins help me rise to the challange.  I shower, jump into the grubbies, move my orthotic supports into my "expensive" sneakers, confiscate my daughter's school back-pack and load it with items from my mental checklist, lock the door and check my cell phone, 8:38 a.m.  A little later than ideal, but it is what it is.  I confidently start down the driveway (please understand that "confidently" is used in the loosest terms possible.

I look back at our house once I get to the corner.  Well, I guess I'm doing it.  If I do this, I have no choice but to do it tonight.  No one is home, I'm on my own.  No fall-back plan.  This is the way I work best.

I am walking to work.  Three miles.  Each way.  Not Olympic caliber stuff, but it is never-the less a commitment.  Walk to work, work for 9 hours, walk home.  It is a good plan.

I have my route divided into 3 milestones, literally and figuratively.  Giant Eagle shopping plaza, 1 mile, Summit Mall, 2 miles, work, 3 miles.  Not exactly, but it is divided in such a way that each section is certainly manageable and gives me a small goal to realize every 20 minutes or so..........




No comments:

Post a Comment