There is a sense of purpose, excitement and a little bit of concern....about coming back, but that's tonight.
I keep my eyes out for my scheduled landmarks, making a conscious effort not to look at the clock on the cell phone, which is buried deeply in the confiscated backpack.
I note smells along the way: fresh cut grass at the plaza of mile one, deep-fried breakfast around the 1.5 mark. I take a brief inventory of any pain, discomfort, make a mental note for next time (sunglasses, sunscreen, water, possibly a hat). During the second half I note the concrete horse brought in for installation at the new Mark Pi going in at the mall. Mile 2 complete, one more to go. I smell wild onions, not the strewn Wendy's garbage on the sidewalk (maybe I'll bring a garbage bag, too), note the wild roses growing amongst what I see are giant weeds, not the small kind I think I saw from the car. Cemetery, now I will have time to read the names on these giant markers, some are almost like tombs. Funeral home and now I can see ahead the signs for the gas station which marks my final obstacle.
Almost there. In celebration, I stop at my favorite gas station to be waited on by my favorite clerk. She greets me with her regular smile, but there is something in her eyes. Surprise, Confusion, and, I think Concern. She looks at me quizzically and I say, "I walked!" The surprise and confusion are still there, but concern is the primary expression.
She doesn't ask why. She does, however, asks when I get off of work, she is offering me a ride. I decline with much thanks and explain that I will be walking. The Confusion is still there, as well as Skepticism.
As I pay for my reward for completing my first commute, a pack of cigarettes, she slips me a pack of Dark Chocolate Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, I assume, to reward me for whatever misfortune she thinks has gotten me into this predicament.
I cross the large intersection that will bring me to my final destination.
Once inside, I run to the bathroom to begin my transformation. As I flick on the light I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror: holy crap! No wonder my friend looked at me so strangely! My face is as red as I have ever seen, pores opened up for the masses, my hair, except for the teased part at the top is soaking wet. Crap. I look like complete crap. I race to begin the rescue and get the store opened on time. Crap.
No comments:
Post a Comment